West Virginia Travel Regions
-Wonders of WVA
|West Virginia: New River/Greenbrier Valley: History|
Bluefield Historic District
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the "Capital" of the southern West Virginia coal fields features historic Victorian architecture. Self-guided walking tour.
Bramwell Historic District
Bramwell, (304)248-7114 (weekday mornings)
Around the turn of the century, some 14 millionaire coal barons lived in this tiny town of Victorian and Tudor mansions. Now, Bramwell offers self-guided walking tours and prearranged group tours as well as spring and Christmas home tours.
Clifftop, (304)438-3005, (304)438-3006
Built in 1939-42 as the first 4-H camp for African Americans, this cultural center now preserves mountain heritage, folklore and arts with a dinner theater series, concerts and festivals. Heart of the facility is the Great Chestnut Lodge, largest log structure of its kind in the US.
(Colonel George Imboden House)
Built in 1830, this house was purchased in 1872 by Colonel George Imboden, who served on the staff of General Robert E. Lee. Furnished in period pieces, the home is the focal point of a museum that includes a schoolhouse.
Eastern Regional Coal Archives
A part of Craft Memorial Library, this resource center highlights the history of the state's southern coal fields. Exhibits, photographs, mining implements, films, books and research materials are featured.
Fayetteville Walking Tour
Tour Civil War sites Friday and Saturday nights at 7:00 p.m. Tours begin at the Fayetteville County Courthouse.
Fayetteville Ghost Tours
Discover the ghosts of Fayetteville past, Friday and Saturday evenings at 8:30 p.m.
General Lewis Inn
Lewisburg, (304)645-2600, (800)628-4454
A charming, antique-filled country inn, c. 1834, that welcomes the traveler with warm hospitality, personal service and quality dining in an historic setting.
Lowell, (304)466-5502, (304)466-3321
Built in 1770, one of the oldest homes in West Virginia, the house represents the lifestyle of wealthy gentlemen on the Virginia frontier. Now a museum. Adjacent to Graham House is the Saunders Oneroom Schoolhouse Museum, filled with artifacts from the days of hickory sticks and pot-bellied stoves.
Hawks Nest State Park Museum
Built in the early 1930s, the rustic building that houses this museum offers a spectacular view of the New River Gorge. Museum displays include early pioneer, Civil War and Native American artifacts.
Herns Mill Covered Bridge
This 54-foot long bridge was built over Milligan Creek in 1884. From US 60, left on County 60/11, then left on County 40 (Muddy Creek Mountain Rd.), 2.6 miles.
Hinton National Historic District
Developed by the growing C&O Railroad at the end of the 19th century, Hinton was added to the National Register in 1984. The architecturally diverse district boasts 200 historic structures. A walking tour brochure is available from the Summers County Visitors Center at 206 Temple Street.
Hinton Railroad Museum and John Henry Woodcarving Exhibit
Ride the rails back in time at this museum featuring rolling stock and artifacts from the days of the C&O Railroad boom. Tools include some used to build Big Bend Tunnel, site of the legendary John Henry's race with a steam drill.
Hinton Visitors Center
Located at the beginning of the New River Gorge National River, this center offers an introduction to the history of the river.
Hokes Mill Covered Bridge
More than 81 feet long, this bridge over Second Creek was constructed in the late 1890s for $700. From Ronceverte, take WV Rt. 219 south and turn left at County 48. Travel 3.6 miles to County 62, then south to Hokes Mill.
Indian Creek Covered Bridge
Salt Sulphur Springs
Built in 1903, the bridge is just under 50 feet long and cost $400. It was restored in 1965 using materials and methods of its original builders. Located just off US 219, 6 miles south of Union.
John A. North House Museum
Built c. 1820, then sold to James Frazier in 1830, the house became a popular tavern. Now a museum noted for its unusually fine architectural detail, the building features a carved entrance and elaborate handcarved interior woodwork. Extensive genealogical studies are available.
Laurel Creek Covered Bridge
At little more than 24 feet long, the smallest covered span in the state was built in 1911 for $365. From Salt Sulphur Springs and US 219, take County 219/7 to Lillydale, then turn right on County 219/11 and follow to the bridge.
Lewisburg Ghost Tours
The Greenbrier Ghost and others tell their stories. The history tour begins at the General Lewis Inn, 7:00 and 9:15 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, mid-September through October 30.
Lewisburg Historic District
Lewisburg, (304)645-1000, (800)833-2068
Dating from the 18th century, the main historic district of this quaint town covers 236 acres with more than 70 buildings of historic or architectural significance. The scene of a Civil War battle fought in May 1862, skirmish sites are marked with bronze plaques. Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail. Walking tour guidebooks are available at the Lewisburg Visitors Center on Church Street.
Moved to its present location in the early 1900s from Craig County, Va., the mill was used almost continuously for the grinding of grain through the late 1960s.
Old Stone Presbyterian Church
The oldest church in continuous use west of the Alleghenies, this two-story native limestone structure was built in 1796 and features an old slave gallery. An adjoining cemetery contains the graves of many prominent West Virginians and a Confederate general.
White Sulphur Springs, (304)536-1110, ext. 7314
The first private cottage built (c. 1835) at The Greenbrier was so named due to its popularity with US presidents. Five pre-Civil War presidents vacationed here. In 1932, the cottage became a museum depicting 200 years of the resort's history.
Circa 1785, this log church is the oldest church building in existence west of the Alleghenies and once served as a fort against Indian attacks. It is one of 10 designated Methodist Shrines in the US.
Salt Sulphur Springs
Salt Sulphur Springs
Came into existence as a mineral spring resort in 1797. Remaining stone buildings include a wing of the hotel, the bath house, spring house, church and general store. All date to the 1820s.
Saunders One-Room Schoolhouse Museum
Lowell, (304)466-3321, 466-2117
Filled with reminders of days gone by, from pot-bellied stove to the old hickory stick. Memorial Day-Labor Day.
The Springs Trail
Monroe County, (304)772-3003
A self-guided tour of the historic mineral springs resorts of Monroe, Greenbrier and Summers counties, which drew visitors from all over the east throughout the 1800s.
Walking Tour of Historic Union
First settled in 1774, Union was established as the county seat of Monroe in 1799. Self guided tour includes 47 listings of homes and structures dating from the early 1800s onward. Union, two associated cemeteries and some of the surrounding farm lands are listed as a National Register District.
Wildwood House Museum
(General Alfred Beckley House)
The Civil War general, founder of Raleigh County and Beckley, built this home in 1836. Originally constructed of logs, the two-story home was enlarged and covered in clapboard around 1850. Today, it is furnished in period antiques. Open weekends Memorial Day through Oct. 31, or call to arrange a tour.
Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia
The museum's new addition, Heritage Center, features a mountain homestead, one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, loom room and frontier garden. A planetarium, hands-on science room and changing participatory exhibits are also offered. Located next door to the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine.