West Virginia Travel Regions
-Wonders of WVA
(800)CALL WVA is your personal toll-free connection to complete information about West Virginia, from anywhere in the continental United States and the Eastern Standard Time Zone of Canada. Ask about bed and breakfast inns, camping, fall foliage tours, highway maps, in-state travel routes, lodging, skiing, state parks, whitewater rafting, or any travel-related topic. You may also make reservations for state parks and some other attractions through this number.
West Virginia has four distinct seasons. In the low-lying areas and valleys, including the western regions of the state and the Eastern Panhandle, winters are mild and summers are warm but pleasant. In the central portions of the state and the more mountainous areas, including the Potomac Highlands, winters are colder, with a greater chance of snow, and summers are mild.
Spruce Knob in the Potomac Highlands, at 4,861 feet.
West Virginia is located in the Eastern Standard Time Zone and observes
Daylight Savings Time.
A 6% sales tax is charged.
Welcome Centers/Service Plazas/ Information Centers
At the state's 12 Welcome Centers, you can contact all hotels, motels, inns and state park lodges listed with the West Virginia Division of Tourism for room rates, facilities, addresses and telephone numbers, free of charge.
- I-64 Welcome Center, Cabell County, (304)522-1062. Eastbound lanes, mile
10, near WV Rt. 10, Huntington Interchange.
- I-64 Welcome Center, Greenbrier County, (304)536-4553. Westbound lanes,
mile 178, east of White Sulphur Springs.
- I-70 Welcome Center, Ohio County, (304)547-0660. Westbound lanes, mile 13,
1/2 mile west of state line.
- I-77 Information Center, Mercer County, (304)487-2214, -2130. Exit 5 at US
460, Princeton. On-site shop sells West Virginia-made crafts.
- I-77 Service Plaza, Mercer County, (304)384-7534, -7535. Northbound lanes,
mile 18, north of Princeton. On-site shop sells West Virginia-made crafts.
- I-77 Service Plaza, Kanawha County, (304)595-2238. Northbound lanes, mile
72, north of Mahan. On-site shop sells West Virginia-made crafts.
- I-77 Service Plaza, Raleigh County, (304)256-6693, -6692. Southbound lanes,
mile 45, Beckley. On-site shop sells West Virginia-made crafts.
- I-77 Welcome Center, Wood County, (304)489-2892. Southbound lanes, mile
166, south of Mineral Wells Interchange.
- I-79 Welcome Center, Monongalia County, (304)328-5261. Southbound lanes,
mile 159, north of Morgantown.
- I-81 Welcome Center, Berkeley County, (304)229-8836. Northbound lanes, mile
2, two miles north of Virginia state line.
- I-81 Welcome Center, Berkeley County, (304)274-2281. Southbound lanes, mile
25, one mile south of Maryland state line.
- US 340 Welcome Center, Harpers Ferry, (304)535-2482.
Much of the state's natural beauty is preserved in state parks, state and national forests, wilderness areas and preserves. Many of these areas offer extensive hiking trail systems, including a number of old railroad beds that have been converted to mountain biking, equestrian and/or walking trails. For a complete guide to hiking and cycling in West Virginia, phone (800)CALL WVA or contact:
West Virginia Scenic Trails Association, (304)744-6979
West Virginia Mountain Bike Association, (304)296-4142
West Virginia Rails-to-Trails Council, (304)722-6558
For the serious or recreational golfer, public, private and semi-private golf courses abound throughout the state, with courses frequented by the PGA tour. For more information, phone (800)CALL WVA.
West Virginia State Park Golf Courses and Resorts with Golf Courses:
- Alpine Lake Resort and Conference Center, Terra Alta, (800)752-7179
- Cacapon Resort State Park, Berkeley Springs, (304)258-1022, (800)CALL WVA
- Canaan Valley Resort State Park, Davis, (304)866-4121, (800)CALL WVA
- Glade Springs Resort, Daniels, (304)763-2000
- The Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, (304)536-1110
- Lakeview Scanticon Resort and Conference Center, Morgantown, (304)594-2011
- Oglebay Resort, Wheeling, (800)624-6988
- Pipestem Resort State Park, Pipestem, (304)466-1800, (800)CALL WVA
- Hawthorne Valley Golf Course, Snowshoe Mountain, Snowshoe, (304)572-1000
- Twin Falls Resort State Park, Mullens, (304)294-4000, (800)CALL WVA
- The Woods Resort, Hedgesville, (304)754-7222
Hunting and Fishing
Hunting and fishing licenses are required throughout the state. Non-resident licenses, including short-term licenses for state recreational areas, may be obtained from nearly 800 license agents in the state. Hunting and fishing regulations are available from the Division of Natural Resources, (304)558-2771. License application forms may be obtained by calling (304)558-2758. A special stamp is required to hunt or fish on national forest lands.
A complete guide to alpine and Nordic skiing in West Virginia is available by calling (800)CALL WVA.
West Virginia, undisputed whitewater capital of the East, offers nearly 2,000 miles of mountain streams hard to match for beauty, challenge and history.
River runners classify whitewater rapids according to their difficulty, from Class I to VI, and West Virginia has it all. Novices can usually run I to II stretches without guides. Segments classed III to V require real paddling skills or qualified leadership, provided by professional outfitters. Class VI water poses the utmost challenge and skill. Information and reservations may be made by calling (800)CALL WVA.
- Beckley--Raleigh County Memorial Airport, (304)255-0476. Colgan Air. Hertz
rental cars. Taxis.
- Bluefield/Princeton--Mercer County Airport, (304)327-5308. Colgan Air.
Hertz rental cars.
- Charleston--Yeager Airport, (304)345-0661. Northwest Airlink, US Airways,
United Express and Delta Connection. Avis, Budget, Hertz, National rental
- Clarksburg/Bridgeport--Benedum Airport, (304)842-3400. USAir Express. Avis,
Hertz, National rental cars. Taxis.
- Keyser, WV/Ridgeley, MD--Cumberland Regional Airport, (304)738-0002. USAir
Express. Hertz rental cars.
- Huntington--Tri-State Airport, (304) 453-6165. Comair/Delta Connection, US
Airways. Avis, Hertz, Budget rental cars. Taxis.
- Lewisburg--Greenbrier Valley Airport, (304)645-3961. USAir Express. Hertz,
National rental cars. Taxis and limousines.
- Morgantown--Morgantown Municipal Airport/Hart Field, (304)291-7461. USAir
Express. Avis, Hertz rental cars. Taxis.
- Parkersburg--Wood County Airport, (304)464-5113. USAir Express. Hertz,
National rental cars. Taxis.
To report an accident or any highway emergency or hazard, dial "operator"
and ask for the West Virginia State Police. From a cellular phone, dial
General Information: (304)558-0103
Highway Conditions: (304)558-3758, (304)558-2889 (recorded)
Specific Highway Questions or Emergencies: (304)558-3028
Speed Limit: Interstate speed limit is 70; other highways 55 unless otherwise posted. Speed limits on smaller roads change frequently due to changing road conditions.
Seat Belt Law: All front seat passengers must be secured by a seat belt. All children under the age of three years must be secured in an approved child safety restraint seat. Children ages three to nine years must be secured by a seat belt in the front or back seats.
Drinking and Driving: If you are stopped for drinking and driving, you will lose your license if:
Motorcycles: Approved safety helmets and eye protection are required. Headlights must be on when motorcycle is in operation. West Virginia operators of motorcycles must have a motorcycle license or an endorsed operators license that permits the use of a motorcycle.
- You do not submit to a breath, blood or urine test.
- Your blood alcohol content is 0.10% or more by weight.
Amtrak provides rail service to the Eastern Panhandle, Metro Valley and New River/ Greenbrier Valley regions. The Cardinal runs three days a week between Washington, DC, and Chicago, stopping in Huntington, Charleston, Montgomery, Thurmond, Prince, Hinton and White Sulphur Springs. Amtrak's Capitol Limited takes a northern route between Chicago and Washington, DC, with daily stops in Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg. For information or reservations, call (800)USA RAIL. The MARC rail commuter system has service on its Brunswick Line between Washington, DC, Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg, WV. For information, call (800)325-7245.